Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year!
Summer is upon us and soon we will be getting school supplies for the first day of school on August 14, 2019. Food Service Employees have been working hard to offer all students a nutritious lunch each day. Food Service’s goal is to support students’ academic success by serving nutritious food in a positive and encouraging environment.
All Central 301 Schools offer a USDA Reimbursable Value Meal of the Day. This meal consists of 5 meal components:
- Milk Choices – ½ pint
- White Milk – Low Fat or Fat Free
- Chocolate – Fat Free
- Soy Milk or Water – Available only with an approved Physician’s Statement (See form in Lunch Information)
- Vegetables Choices: Every week a variety of fresh, frozen or canned vegetables are offered from five (5) groups; dark green/leafy, red/orange, beans/lentils, starchy and other vegetables.
- Fruits: A variety of fresh, frozen and canned fruits in their own juice are offered each week; as well as 100% Vegetable/Fruit Juices
- Grains & Breads: All servings of grains, pastas & bread items are made from at least 51% whole grains.
- Meat/Meat Alternate (Protein Items): Each week a variety of protein items are offered (beef, chicken, turkey) and non-meat items such as cheese, refried beans or hummus.
The Food Service Department urges parents/guardians to keep their student’s lunch accounts paid up to date. At the end of the 2018-2019 school year, many families have a lunch account with a negative balance. Notification of the negative lunch account balance have been sent via email weekly to the parents/guardians email address, via U.S. Mail to the home address and letters have been sent home with the students weekly during the school year.
If you have a negative balance, we ask that you pay the amount owed as soon as possible. To pay the negative balance, you may use the online payment system at www.myschoolbucks.com to add funds at any time or you may mail a check to the Food Service Office at Prairie Knolls Middle School, 225 Nesler Road, Elgin, IL 60124. You may also drop off a check or cash at Prairie Knolls Middle School. Please write your student’s name on the check or envelope, so the account can be credited. All unpaid negative balance will be rolled over to the 2019 – 2020 School Year.
FREE / REDUCED MEAL APPLICATIONS
The Free/Reduced Family Application is available here. A student’s eligibility for free or reduced priced lunches shall be determined by the Family Size / Income Guidelines set annually by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and distributed by the Illinois State Board of Education. Each family submitting an application will be notified in writing of the application status.
Completed Free/Reduced Family Applications for the 2019-2020 school year can be sent to: Food Service Department, Prairie Knolls Middle School, 225 Nesler Rd., Elgin, IL 60124
If you have any questions, please contact the Food Service Department @ 847-464-6043 ext. 8110 or email: email@example.com